Many types of cancer, one heart for treating people right.
The St. Joseph Cancer Center specializes in all types of adult cancers. Our cancer specialists are ready to provide comprehensive cancer treatment and care to patients in the Brazos region. Breast, colon, lung, lymphnode, and prostate cancer account for 60% of the cancers we treat.
No matter what type of cancer you’re facing, our mission is to provide excellent cancer treatment and patient-focused care with better patient outcomes. We are committed to promoting wellness, prevention, early detection, and survivorship throughout the Brazos Valley.
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), Cancer is the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells anywhere in a body. These abnormal cells are termed cancer cells, malignant cells, or tumor cells. Many cancers and the abnormal cells that compose the cancer tissue are further identified by the name of the tissue that the abnormal cells originated from (for example, breast cancer, lung cancer, colon cancer).
There are more than two hundred types of cancer which the NCI groups several, general categories.
- Carcinoma: Cancer that begins in the skin or in tissues that line or cover internal organs -- "skin, lung, colon, pancreatic, ovarian cancers," epithelial, squamous and basal cell carcinomas, melanomas, papillomas, and adenomas
- Sarcoma: Cancer that begins in bone, cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or other connective or supportive tissue -- "bone, soft tissue cancers," osteosarcoma, synovial sarcoma, liposarcoma, angiosarcoma, rhabdosarcoma, and fibrosarcoma
- Leukemia: Cancer that starts in blood-forming tissue such as the bone marrow and causes large numbers of abnormal blood cells to be produced and enter the blood -- "leukemia”, lymphoblastic leukemias (ALL and CLL), myelogenous leukemias (AML and CML), T-cell leukemia, and hairy-cell leukemia
- Lymphoma and myeloma: Cancers that begin in the cells of the immune system -- "lymphoma", T-cell lymphomas, B-cell lymphomas, Hodgkin lymphomas, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and lymphoproliferative lymphomas
- Central nervous system cancers: Cancers that begin in the tissues of the brain and spinal cord -- "brain and spinal cord tumors", gliomas, meningiomas, pituitary adenomas, vestibular schwannomas, primary CNS lymphomas, and primitive neuroectodermal tumors
Not included in the above list are metastatic cancers, because metastatic cancer cells usually come from a cell type mentioned in the above list. The major difference is that the metastatic cells are present in a tissue from which the cancer cells did not originally develop.
At the St. Joseph Cancer Center, we treat most major types of cancer including: Breast, colon, lung, lymphnode, prostate, pancreatic, skin, ovarian, liver, stomach, bladder, throat, bone, mouth, brain, kidney and blood cancer.
Region’s Only Breast Center of Excellence
As the ONLY nationally accredited facility in the Brazos Valley, the Breast Center at St. Joseph has earned this designation through our devotion to patient-centered care, including exceptional standards in our research, technology, medicines, and staff.
A program of the American College of Surgeons, the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) challenges breast cancer centers to enhance the care they provide by addressing patient-centered needs and measuring the quality of the care they deliver against national standards.
Always your best interest in mind.
We strive to provide a progressive level of skill and expertise in treating a broad spectrum of cancer types. For those rare cases where more advanced treatment is required, we have extensive partnerships throughout the region where we assist in patient referrals to ensure ongoing quality care.
The bottom line? We always keep your best interest in mind. Providing cancer treatment and saving lives is our mission. If we believe that you’ll benefit from another opinion or referral to another cancer doctor, we will make the appropriate recommendation without you having to ask for it.
Your answer to cancer is expert care by knowledgeable cancer specialists who are closer to home. And it's all at St. Joseph. Call us today to schedule your no-obligation initial consultation. Our caring team of cancer specialists will help you understand your options and talk through the decisions you’ll need to make. And if you decide to trust us with your care, we’ll help you with everything we've got. Call (979) 774-0808 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org