The Nightingale - RN Volunteer Program
A unique, rewarding opportunity for retired or inactive RNs to use their professional expertise by providing compassionate care to patients and their families, the Nightingale - RN Volunteer Program also creates an extraordinary environment for the retired or inactive RN to share and learn from St. Joseph employees
Mission Statement: To enhance the care of our patients/families and support the nursing staff.
- To assist St. Joseph staff in providing supportive patient care to enhance the level of excellence of care to each patient.
- To utilize the volunteer RNs professional knowledge and skills by providing and assisting with designated needs to patients and families.
- To estable an interactive communication between the patients, families, staff and the Nightingale Volunteer; therefore maintaing both continuity and standard of care.
- Offer an opportunity for retired and inactive RNs to provide services to their comunity by being a respected resource for patients and staff.
- Assist with patient hygiene and personal care needs including changing patients independently, turning, bathing and linen changes.
- Assist wtih daily activities including answering call lights, ambulating, transfers, providing patient snacks, providing patient meal trays, and picking up finished patient meal trays.
- Assist with completing menus and feeding patients.
- Under the direction of the staff RN, assist appropriate patient care tasks to include taking vital signs, apply or remove SCDs, and assist with maintaining a clean and neat patient room environment.
- Complete task under direction of Team Leader including stocking supplies, stocking isolation carts, place appropriate door signs, place appropriate arm band precaution tags, train other volunteers, and transport patients as needed.
- Make "rounds" on patients evaluating needs, aiding with comfort measures, and providing feedback to assigned nurse.
- Complete unit audits as directed by the Clinical Coordinator or Director.
- Assist unit with patient satisfaction initiatives such as follow up phone calls to discharged patients.
- Motto: "Communicate with nursing staff, asking permission to perform a task and report back the results."
- Limitations: Nightingale Volunteers will not perform any tasks that require an RN license.
Apply to Volunteer for Nightingale - RN Program