What Can Volunteers Do?
Fall Prevention 'Safety Monitors' - preventing patient falls is vitally important. Our volunteers are trained to work with patients, their families and staff to ensure that no patient takes a fall while in our facility. Scheduling is flexible and volunteers work closely with the staff on each nursing unit.
Clowning Around - visiting, distracting and brightening a patient's day. Visiting patients, visitors and staff, our clowns make balloon animals, give out smiles and interact with kids of all ages. Training is provided and no previous experience is required. Just a strong desire to make a difference! Scheduled daily from 9 am - 6 pm.
Caring Canines Visitation Program - this is a pilot project with our Oncology Department. Trained dogs and their owners serve to positively impact the patient experience and improve patient morale and emotional well-being by providing a focus of attention in the form of the canine's unconditional love and acceptance. Our canine partners are trained and evaluated by recognized pet therapy organizations to ensure their suitability for this program. Scheduling flexible.
Nursing Units - Volunteers assist nurses, unit staff members and patients to provide support to the unit. These areas may be scheduled daily from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm (unless otherwise noted):
- Oncology, Medical, Surgery/Orthopedics, and Telemetry: Refill water pitchers, stock supplies, set up rooms for new admissions, file imaging and lab reports, answer call lights, answer the phone, pick up meal trays to record what was eaten, escort discharged patients to vehicle, filing for the unit, taking patient vitals, and provide customer service to patients.
- Post Partum, Pediatrics, and Rehab nursing: Refill water pitchers, stock supplies, set up rooms for new admissions, file imaging and lab reports, answer call lights, answer the phone, pick up meal trays to record what was eaten, escort discharged patients to vehicle, filing for the unit, and provide customer service to patients.
- Nursery: stock supplies, make beds/cribs, assemble patient packets, feed babies, transport babies to and from nursery, filing for the unit, and providing customer service to patients.
- Joint University (scheduled Monday-Sunday 8 am-4 pm): help with post surgery exercises, provide assistance for education classes, stock supplies, mail-outs, filing, help with post surgery reunion events and provide customer service to patients.
- Labor & Delivery (scheduled Monday-Friday 6 am - 1 pm): making patient packets, copying, updating files, filing, and answering phone.
- Unit Support on Tower 3 or Tower 4 (scheduled Monday-Saturday 7 pm-10 pm): answer unit phones and patient call lights; provide assistance to nurses and patients.
Emergency Services in Bryan or College Station (can be scheduled daily 8 am - 12 am)- Stock supplies, get rooms ready for admission, help get patients to and from their vehicle, take patient vital signs, answer phones, provide patient comfort items, and assist nurses and techs.
Cath Lab (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-1 pm) observe heart cath procedures.
Dietetics (scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm) - Conduct patient surveys, assist dieticians with meal planning for special needs patients, make copies and assemble patient literature.
Patient Transporters (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-7 pm; Saturdays 7 am- 4 pm) assist staff in escorting discharged patients to their vehicle, assist in transporting patients who are receiving a treatment or procedure.
Pharmacy (Must be a licensed pharmacy tech or tech trainee to volunteer in the pharmacy; scheduled daily 8 am - 9 pm)- Assist with pulling expired medication, shadowing a pharmacist, and data entry. Information on how to obtain the tech trainee certification may be requested from Volunteer Services.
Physical/Occupational Therapy - Shadow and assist physical therapists and techs:
- Inpatient @ St. Joseph Rehabilitation Center scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1pm - 4 pm.
- Acute @ St. Joseph Regional Health Center is scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1-4 pm and Saturday 8 am - 12 pm.
- Outpatient Physical Therapy (Rehabilitation Center and College Station) areas are scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1 pm - 5 pm.
- Brazos Valley Sports Medicine Monday - Thursday 7 am -12 pm and 1-7 pm; Fridays 7 am - 12 pm and 1-5 pm.
- Occupational Therapy (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm)-Shadow and assist occupational therapists and techs.
Cardiac Rehab (scheduled Monday/Wednesday/Friday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm) - assist nurses and exercise physiologists with cardiac patients during rehabilitation exercises.
Speech Therapy (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm) - shadow speech therapists and provide office assistance.
Nuclear Medicine Support (scheduled Saturday/Sunday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm) - provide assistance to techs and patients while they are undergoing procedures.
Sterile Prep (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-8 pm) - assist staff in preparing and transporting case carts to surgery.
Patient Navigators (scheduled Monday-Friday 6:00 am-6:00 pm) - assist patients by escorting to desired location; escort patients and families to and from Day Surgery.
Tower Reception Desk (scheduled Monday-Friday 6 pm-9 pm, Saturday/Sunday 8 am-9 pm) - Welcome patients and visitors to the hospital. Answer phones, give directions, and provide patient location information.
Newspapers to Patients (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-10 am) - delivering newspapers to patients.
Magazines (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-9 pm) - delivering magazines to waiting areas, organizing/sorting donated magazines, provide magazines to patients.
Clerical (scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm in Human Resources, Business Office, Cancer Center, Employee Health, Occupational Health, Express Clinic, Bariatric Surgery Office, Medical Staff Services, Pre-Admission Office) - Help with a variety of duties such as filing, collating, addressing and stuffing envelopes, making copies, answering phones, and data entry. Some placements require computer skills.
Information Desk (scheduled Monday - Friday 4 pm - 9 pm or Saturday/Sunday 8 am - 9 pm) - Welcome patients, visitors and families to the hospital. Answer phones, give directions, provide wheelchair assistance, and deliver flowers and mail to patients.
Surgery/CCU Waiting Areas (scheduled Monday- Sunday 8 am-8 pm) - Welcome and keep family members and friends informed about patients' who are in surgery or Critical Care.
Gift Shop (scheduled Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 7:00 pm; Saturday/Sunday 9:30 am - 7:00 pm) - Assist hospital guests and staff with purchases, help stock merchandise, and deliver gifts to patients.
For more information about these programs and more, please email us at email@example.com or call 979.776.2917.