What Can Volunteers Do?
Here are a few of our opportunities. For a complete listing, go to our Opportunity Directory.
Fall Prevention 'Safety Monitors' - preventing patient falls is vitally important. Our volunteers are trained to work with patients, their families and staff to ensure that no patient takes a fall while in our facility. Scheduling is flexible and volunteers work closely with the staff on each nursing unit.
Environmental Patient Rounding (scheduled Monday - Friday 1-5 pm) - Ensuring that our patients have every need met during their stay, volunteers go and visit with patients and ask a few short questions, relay information to supervisors, and help solve patient issues immediately to provide excellent care.
Clowning Around - visiting, distracting and brightening a patient's day. Visiting patients, visitors and staff, our clowns make balloon animals, give out smiles and interact with kids of all ages. Training is provided and no previous experience is required. Just a strong desire to make a difference! Scheduled daily from 9 am - 6 pm.
Caring Canines Visitation Program - Trained dogs and their owners serve to positively impact the patient experience and improve patient morale and emotional well-being by providing a focus of attention in the form of the canine's unconditional love and acceptance. Our canine partners are trained and evaluated by recognized pet therapy organizations to ensure their suitability for this program. Scheduling flexible.
Spiritual Care volunteers are able to visit our patients and families to offer emotional and spiritual support to ease the stress of being in the hospital. Volunteers are needed in these areas:
- Care Partners: Are assigned to the ER, Day Surgery, and the Med/Surg Units. These volunteers offer special care and attention to patients and families through their compassion, care and offer of prayer when it is requested.
- Eucharistic Ministers: Visit the Catholic patients throughout the hospital, Rehab Services, St. Joseph Manor and Dubuis to offer communion to our Roman Catholic patients.
- Chaplain Internship: Is a unique opportunity that is available to the community, graduate students and our volunteers who are looking to broaden their understanding of healthcare and how to be at the bedside. It requires 10 hours each week for 10 weeks. Call the Spiritual Care Department to inquire when the next internship is scheduled.
Nursing Units - Volunteers assist nurses, unit staff members and patients to provide support to the unit. These areas may be scheduled daily from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm (unless otherwise noted):
- Oncology, Medical, Surgery/Orthopedics, and Telemetry: Refill water pitchers, stock supplies, set up rooms for new admissions, file imaging and lab reports, answer call lights, answer the phone, pick up meal trays to record what was eaten, escort discharged patients to vehicle, filing for the unit, taking patient vitals, and provide customer service to patients.
- Post Partum, Pediatrics, and Rehab nursing: Refill water pitchers, stock supplies, set up rooms for new admissions, file imaging and lab reports, answer call lights, answer the phone, pick up meal trays to record what was eaten, escort discharged patients to vehicle, filing for the unit, and provide customer service to patients.
- Nursery: stock supplies, make beds/cribs, assemble patient packets, feed babies, transport babies to and from nursery, filing for the unit, and providing customer service to patients.
- Joint University (scheduled Monday-Thursday 8 am-4 pm): help with post surgery exercises, provide assistance for education classes, stock supplies, mail-outs, filing, help with post surgery reunion events and provide customer service to patients.
- Labor & Delivery (scheduled Monday-Friday 6 am - 1 pm): making patient packets, copying, updating files, filing, and answering phone.
- Unit Support on Tower 3 (scheduled Monday-Saturday 7 pm-10 pm): answer unit phones and patient call lights; provide assistance to nurses and patients.
Emergency Services in Bryan or College Station (can be scheduled daily 8 am - 12 am)- hourly rounding, provide comfort measures to patients and families, stock supplies, get rooms ready for admission, help get patients to and from their vehicle, take patient vital signs, answer phones, and assist nurses and techs.
Cath Lab (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-1 pm) observe heart cath procedures.
Dietetics (scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm) - Conduct patient surveys, assist dieticians with meal planning for special needs patients, make copies and assemble patient literature.
Patient Transporters (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-7 pm; Saturdays 7 am- 4 pm) assist staff in escorting discharged patients to their vehicle, assist in transporting patients who are receiving a treatment or procedure.
Pharmacy (Must be a licensed pharmacy tech or tech trainee to volunteer in the pharmacy; scheduled daily 8 am - 5 pm)- Assist with pulling expired medication, shadowing a pharmacist, and data entry. Information on how to obtain the tech trainee certification may be requested from Volunteer Services.
Physical/Occupational Therapy - Shadow and assist physical therapists and techs:
- Inpatient @ St. Joseph Rehabilitation Center scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1pm - 4 pm.
- Acute @ St. Joseph Regional Health Center is scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1-4 pm and Saturday 8 am - 12 pm.
- Outpatient Physical Therapy (Rehabilitation Center and College Station) areas are scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm or 1 pm - 5 pm.
- Brazos Valley Sports Medicine Monday - Thursday 7 am -12 pm and 1-7 pm; Fridays 7 am - 12 pm and 1-5 pm.
- Occupational Therapy Rehab & Acute (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-12 pm or 1-3 pm)-Shadow and assist occupational therapists and techs.
Cardiac Rehab (scheduled Monday/Wednesday8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm; Friday 8 am - 12 pm) - assist nurses and exercise physiologists with cardiac patients during rehabilitation exercises.
Speech Therapy (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm) - shadow speech therapists and provide office assistance.
Nuclear Medicine Support (scheduled Saturday/Sunday 8 am-12 pm or 1-4 pm) - provide assistance to techs and patients while they are undergoing procedures.
Sterile Prep (scheduled Monday-Friday 7 am-8 pm) - assist staff in preparing and transporting case carts to surgery.
Patient Navigators (scheduled Monday-Friday 6:00 am-6:00 pm) - assist patients by escorting to desired location; escort patients and families to and from Day Surgery.
Tower Reception Desk (scheduled Monday-Friday 6 pm-9 pm, Saturday/Sunday 8 am-9 pm) - Welcome patients and visitors to the hospital. Answer phones, give directions, and provide patient location information.
Newspapers to Patients (scheduled Monday-Friday 8 am-10 am) - delivering newspapers to patients.
Clerical (scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm) in Human Resources, Business Office, Cancer Center, Employee Health, Occupational Health, Express Clinic, Bariatric Surgery Office, Medical Staff Services, Pre-Admission Office) - Help with a variety of duties such as filing, collating, addressing and stuffing envelopes, making copies, answering phones, and data entry. Some placements require computer skills.
Information Desk (scheduled Monday - Friday 4 pm - 9 pm or Saturday/Sunday 8 am - 9 pm) - Welcome patients, visitors and families to the hospital. Answer phones, give directions, provide wheelchair assistance, and deliver flowers and mail to patients.
CCU Waiting Areas (scheduled Monday- Sunday 8 am-8 pm) - Welcome and check-in guests for visitation, coordinate visitation, and keep family members and friends informed about patients' who are in Critical Care.
Tower Surgery Desk (scheduled Monday - Friday 6 am - 6 pm) - Welcome and help check-in patients for surgery, escort patients to surgery area, oversee waiting areas, coordinate with surgery staff and keep families informed of patients progress through surgery process.
College Station Emergency, Diagnostic, Imaging (scheduled Monday - Friday 8 am-8 pm) - Welcome and direct patients, assist staff, shadowing imaging/lab staff if desired.
College Station Patient Outreach Volunteer (scheduled Monday - Friday 8am-5pm) - Welcome and direct patients for busy multi-physician office, outreach to patients for wellness visits, assist staff, and opportunities to shadow provider/nurses/management as desired by volunteer.